The Decatur County Courthouse was built in 1908, after previous structures were destroyed by windstorm, fire, and by the explosives of would-be thieves. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981, but prior to our renovation had fallen into disrepair. We completed a study of all areas and outlined a phased approach to restore and enhance the building based on funding capabilities.
Our plan addressed issues from a standpoint that honored its historical integrity and improved its functionality. We worked with the original manufacturer to provide duplicate tiles. The roof was removed in sections, deteriorated underlayment replaced and the materials re-constructed. We determined a proper placement for an elevator installation to make all floors accessible. A major reconstruction of the main exterior stair was also completed. The chimney was carefully re-built, and specific interior areas renovated with proper attention to lighting and finished appropriate to the building.