In Iowa, revitalization efforts often look back in time in order to move forward. The Old First National Bank Building was one such undertaking. Originally built in 1880, the structure was significantly renovated in 1911, altering it to its current appearance, which includes a signature curved masonry corner. Situated across from a historic train depot designed by the famed firm Burnham & Root, the building serves as a gateway to Maple Street, a retail-oriented corridor in Creston’s uptown business direct.
All windows and doors were replaced, including the large, curved glazing at the corner, which proved to be a challenging endeavor. The interior ground floor and basements were also renovated. Dropped ceilings were removed to enlarge the windows and expose original plaster moldings, which were carefully restored. Existing marble wainscoting was uncovered, an interior element that adds to the building’s historic charm.